I did a lot less of everything than I’d have liked to in 2020, but I did manage to do some things I enjoyed and I’d like to document them. I know it’s a few days late but better late than never I guess.
This is all of the books I read in 2020. I started the year finishing reading the Harry Potter series for the first time (also better late than never). I have a few cocktail/recipe books in here that I’m not sure you would exactly call “reading”.
Of these my favorites are (in no particular order):
- High-Rise by J.G. Ballard
- Radicalized by Cory Doctorow
- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
All three of them were books I couldn’t put down and enjoyed tremendously. Additional books that I liked but didn’t find quite as enrapturing as these three were:
- In House in the Dark of the Woods by Laird Hunt
- The Boatman’s Daughter by Andy Davidson
- Flowers of Mold by Ha Seong-nan
- Mortals and Monsters by Lester del Rey
Overall I wish I had made more time for reading this year, as I fell quite behind my goal but I’m hopeful that I will be more successful this year.
Usually I record what were my favorite albums released in the year but this year I’d like to also note records that I discovered or particularly enjoyed for the year. I think the obsession with “new” music is detrimental to the dsicovery of music and honestly, most of the music I listen to in a year wasn’t released that year so I might as well write about it.
Released in 2020
This was a quiet year for new music to me, without shows to go to I found myself slightly less drawn to discovering new released and instead explored lots of older released.
In no order, my favorite albums from 2020 were:
- Live Forever - Bartees Strange
- It Is What It Is - Thundercat
- Melee - Dogleg
- NO DREAM - Jeff Rosenstock
- Printer’s Devil - Ratboys
Albums I discovered in 2020 that I like:
- Lily-O - Sam Amidon
- Time - Louis Cole
- Somewhere City - Origami Angel
- Worlds - Porter Robinson
- Everything That Happens Will Happen Today - David Byrne & Brian Eno
- The Big Freeze - Laura Stevenson
Albums that I had heard before 2020 but I especially liked this year:
- Peripheral Vision - Turnover
- Drunk - Thundercat
- Weller - Weller
And as an honorable mention, these are the bands whose discographies found themselves frequently in my mind this year, and for many years prior:
- Say Anything
- Los Campesinos!
- Jeff Rosentstock/Bomb the Music Industry!
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Elliot Smith
- Emperor X
- Rozwell Kid
- Joyce Manor
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Bruce Springsteen
- Talking Heads
- Blink 182
- Alkaline Trio
- My Chemical Romance
- The Front Bottoms
- The Menzingers
- Free Throw
And probably even more that just aren’t fresh in my mind right now. Have a nice night, happy new year.